Both systems will do fine with a 3-series chipset board with an E8400 (~$200).
I recommend intel retail desktop boards. Your 2nd system as described (dealing
only in 2D imaging) needs nothing more than integrated graphics as far as
speed, but you'll want a digital output so I would recommend intel's DG33TL
(~$120) with integrated GMA 3100 graphics and DVI output. Trust me, you DO NOT
need any add-on PCIe GPU. Throw in 2GB of JDEC spec DDR2 (~$50) and a 74GB
Raptor (~$140) and you have a screaming system for general I/O just north of
$500.

I recommend an intel-based rig because a) nothing tops the price performance of
the new 45nm core 2 duo's and b) the ICH9R RAID is a superior performing RAID
southbridge when compared to nvidia's and amd/ati's current southbridges.