At 07:18 PM 09/05/2008, Anthony Q. Martin wrote:
That's a ridiculous analogy, Gary. There are plenty who consider even McAfee suitable to the task it purports to do. Would I buy it? No...Do I wish my employer would get something else, yes. Do I get to demand what they purchase? No.

The people who think that are wrong. Even the daily tests of McAfee shows it to be deficient. It slows the machine and causes odd problems. It's among the worst for false positives (and stupid ones at that - I've seen it flag batch files I wrote as malware (and I'm not that good.) :) I think the analogy is almost perfect - but McAfee is more like a Big Mac than spoiled food - it adds bloat, makes you ill, and lots of people think it's great. :)