Duncan:

I wouldn't worry about it too much either way. For a small home server with less than 5 clients you'll be fine either way you do it.

The number of accounts you have doesn't affect the number of CAL's you'll need. I only like per-seat because you only need one CAL per PC, versus one per physical human accessing the box.

At the end of the day, it should not matter.

Also, the CAL that comes with the client machine is I believe a Terminal Services CAL, not a Windows Server CAL.

If it's Windows Server and not Windows Small Business Server you won't be shut down even if you exceed the number of CALs that you own. I don't even think you can buy Win2k CAL's anymore, anyway.

-ben

DHSinclair wrote:
Thank you Ben,
This is a very tough topic for me. I get the per seat (aka per person) choice. Since I do not have >1 server, my book steers me away from this. Plus, if I select the per server option, I get one future no-cost (reload) option to change if necessary.

On my lan there are only 2 people that use the server and/or any of my clients. Me and the Administrative account. I can not imagine 5 or more seats, unless I created accounts for my Brother, Sister, 2 Nephews and my Brother-in-Law. So, the 5-connections of the per server default seems to cover my normal operation with some overhead. Or, am I way off base still?

Am I correct that each of my client machines have there own CALs anyway as installed with networking installed/enabled?

Now I understand why servers may be best left to IT pros. This is tough tinker business.... :)
Best,