Yep - that's the other downside.  The Apple TV only really plays stuff
encoded with Apple's codecs.  If you've got WMV or XVID stuff then you will
have issues unless you hack it.

Many people don't realize that Apple does just as much monopoly lock-in as
Microsoft, it's just that they usually have a much more enjoyable (and
prettier) box to lock you into.

I've owned 1st Gen, 3rd Gen, and 5th Gen iPods and also 1st Gen iPhone.
Loved them all, especially once I got em hacked so I could do what I wanted
with that sexy hardware :)

----
Brian