At 01:09 PM 7/28/2008, you wrote:
Last I had looked at it the answer was "no" if we are talking about encrypted channels (nearly all of them are).

Actually, the networks aren't, but it is up to the cable companies to provide them unencrypted.

The only way you can tune encrypted digital cable is through the use of a Cablecard.

The free network HD channels are supposedly (according to Extreme Tech) provided along with the analog over cable.

Something you would have to obtain from your cable provider. This is why some of the new television sets have cablecard slots built into them.

while this is still available they have mostly been abandoned by cable companies and TV manufacturers. The cable companies don't like them because they are not bi directional, so many of the features, like pay for video, or the TV guide can't work with a cable card. The manufactures don't like them because they cost money to install in the TV, and most consumers don't care. There is a new technology that has replaced cable cards ... I think it is called TV2. Sony will be deploying it next year, it won't be cheap but it will be built in and provide bidirectional support to cable users without a cable box. Cable companies are supporting it because it meets their needs, and manufactures are coming to it largely because it seems to meet their needs expect one..... price per unit. However, manufactures believe the price will come down quickly as more consumers use it.