Greg,
I will not argue, except to say that in my area, all CC users are getting upgraded to full digital.
One user at a time (whatever that means?)  I do not know. I do not have CC.
I believe this is CC's blunt to the local power company's plan to do FIOS. This past Sunday CC admitted that 'we are a completely fiber network in this area.' OK, that is OK, if true (but it is cable to the house). I still use xdsl. I can not afford CC's cable internet ($49.95/mo). So, I think your 1st para about "(typically analog)" may be back on the table. And, softened a bit for regional-specific pricing. Yes, there will be much more talk about the 02/09 business. But, I try not to confuse this with anything HD now or in the future. Can we agree to separate OTA and HD? I know that this may be really tough. If so, tell me; I'll pound sand............... :)
Look,
Many of us still do OTA and analog, I think; or, let's have a HWG vote so WE know who/what we are talking to. Otherwise, all this talk (with no basis) has little meat.
BTW, my TV is OTA........
Best,
Duncan

At 18:08 07/28/2008 -0500, you wrote:
> At 01:09 PM 7/28/2008, you wrote:
> >Last I had looked at it the answer was "no" if we are talking about
> >encrypted channels (nearly all of them are).
>
> Actually, the networks aren't, but it is up to the cable companies to
> provide them unencrypted.

If a cable company chooses to carry local OTA networks (CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX,
CW, etc) over their cable plant, they MUST do so unencrypted, and must
provide them on the most basic (typically analog) tier. It's an FCC rule. If
your cable co provides locals and is encrypting them, report them.

snip