Well, you can have OTA analog and OTA Digital. Not all OTA digital is HD,
but most of it is.

My point is that if your cable company carries channels that are available
OTA in your area, they MUST, per FCC regulations, do so unencrypted. They
can still encode it to facilitate transit over their network--currently
using a method called QAM--but they can't encrypt the content. That means
any device capable of Clear QAM decoding should be able to pick up all
digital local broadcast networks over the cable, assuming that the cable co
carries them.

If the cable company does choose to carry OTA channels over their network in
a digital capacity, either SD or HD, they must make them available on the
most basic tier. Your typical basic tier is advertised as having 8-15
channels for less than $20/mo, typically analog, typically channels
available OTA as well, plus some public access / local programming. HD
versions, if present on the network, must be available in this tier as well,
but they aren't usually advertised.

What this basically amounts to is that assuming your cable company carries
local channels in HD, you could subscribe to the most basic tier of service
and, with a tuner capable of Clear QAM decoding, view any and all of those
local HD channels without buying/renting an STB, CableCARD, digital or HD
tier, etc.

Cable companies are not bound by the 2/09 "all-digital" broadcast
restriction, since they don't broadcast--they transmit over a physical cable
plant. However, most are moving to all-digital anyway, since they can run 4,
6, or even 8 compressed SD digital signals (subchannels) over the spectrum
reserved for a single analog channel. This frees up more spectrum for HD
channels, and likely also for bonding channels in DOCSIS 3.0 internet
service offerings--though that's going to be a future offering.

I have Time Warner cable, and subscribe to just about everything. However,
my HTPC is outfitted with two ATSC HD tuners, and I pull in local broadcast
HD. It just looks better than anything you get over cable/satellite.

Greg