List a Window OS post 9x/me that can't do lba48? Right, none, so a non-problem with the right add-on controller card w/BIOS.

Random interesting link:

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

Rick Glazier wrote:
I agreed...

I listed three things and said to stay under 120G to avoid them all...
Then listed the one (the OS) most likely to be a problem.

                                      Rick Glazier

From: "maccrawj"
UltraATA controller w/ BIOS support for LBA48 trumps system BIOS limits on size.

Rick Glazier wrote:

Philosophy aside, you can sometimes get a PCI MB to boot from a UltraATA controller card and use a HD larger than 137G (or so), but getting the right combination of MB BIOS booting
options and chipset driver and OS compatibility can be a problem.
Like someone said, if you stay under 120G, you might not trip any limitations.
(Even the OSs will have HD size limitations...)
Mixing new with old can get messy fast...