Greg,
Could you be a bit more expansive? I am still confused by your
explanation. Perhaps we are just talking "bench racing" again?
I have ram that is Intel-rated PC66, PC100, and PC133. I know that these numbers
follow the Intel FSB freq.

Then it gets confusing to me because then I jump to ram for AMD that is
PC3200 and PC3500.

Perhaps not. I only followed the "PC" labels while on the AMD-side really.
If only to try and equate AMD to Intel. I never did like AMD's "PC" ratings.
I just lived with them.

Once I complete my conversion, I will be fully back in "Intel-land."
Since I have moved to "DDR3" by choice, I figure that is a forward choice.
Does the "PC" rating really mean anything with an Intel focus?

Thank you. I feel the cheap plastic cases are a bad way to ship
what we "discuss" as an expensive product. Letter to Crucial is in process!
Glad to know you have had no problems yet.
Best,
Duncan

At 21:11 11/10/2008 -0600, you wrote:
> I just received my crucial ram. All came packed as "kits."  But, the
> plastic cases the modules are in do not show any ESD markings I would
> expect to see. Odd. Just two plastic cases in a cardboard sleeve.
> Is this now "normal?"  Very odd.

Yes. My Corsair (qty...10?) and OCZ kits (qty 2) all came in clear plastic
packaging. Haven't had an issue yet. I suppose that it's to improve their
shelf appeal, but I, too, would prefer they come in antistatic bags.

> Silly question:  Does DDR3 ram carry any sort of "PC3xxx" value?  Or,
> are
> we finally behind all that silly "Performance Rating" business now?  It
> does say that it is rated at 1333MHz, even though I doubt I will ever
> drive
> it there........... :)
> Thank,
> Duncan

Yes. 1066MT/s (which is actually 533MHz i/o bus clock rate, double pumped),
DDR3 is PC3-8500.
At 1333MT/s (667MHz), PC3-10600
1600MT/s (800MHz), PC3-12800.

The numbers are each relevant, as they signify some element of the module.
The PC3-xxxx is the peak throughput in MB/s, the DDR3-xxx is the number of
transfers per second, in millions. (MT/s) Then you have CAS latencies...