Greg,
OMG! I am so behind.
Very nice explanation. I appreciate this.
How do you keep on top of this?
Thank you.
Duncan

At 23:00 11/10/2008 -0600, you wrote:
> Greg,
> Could you be a bit more expansive? I am still confused by your
> explanation. Perhaps we are just talking "bench racing" again?
> I have ram that is  Intel-rated PC66, PC100, and PC133. I know that
> these
> numbers
> follow the Intel FSB freq.
>
> Then it gets confusing to me because then I jump to ram for AMD that is
> PC3200 and PC3500.

PC66, PC100, etc. were used to refer to the memory clock speed for Single
Data Rate (SDR) "original" SDRAM. With the advent of DDR, the PCxxxx
designation has been used to refer to the memory's maximum theoretical
throughput in MB/s.

DDR-266 is PC-2100
DDR2-800 is PC2-6400
DDR3-1333 is PC3-10600

The DDR[2/3]-xxxx is used to refer to the number of transfers per second.
DDR added the ability to transfer data on both the rise and the fall of the
i/o bus clock cycle. Whereas PC-133 transfers 133 million times per second
on a 133MHz bus, DDR-266 transfers 266 million times per second, on the same
133MHz bus. Since the memory bus isn't actually running at a 266MHz actual
clock speed, but that's the effective clock speed, the proper term is
266MT/s (Million Transfers/second). 133MHz clock rate * 2 transfers per
clock = 266 million transfers per second. 266MT/s * 64 bits (bus width in
bits) / 8 (bits in a byte) = 2128MB/s...rounded to 2100MB/s. Hence the
PC-2100 designation. (Note that there is some additional rounding here on my
part, since a 133Mhz bus is actually 133,333,333Hz)

Your DDR3-1333, PC3-10600 memory operates at a 667MHz i/o bus, 1333MT/s, and
is capable of 10,600MB/s of throughput per stick.
667MHz clock * 2 = 1333MT/s, 1333MT/s * 64 bits bus width / 8 bits in a byte
= ~10600MB/s.

This has nothing to do with AMD's performance rating system (ie: Athlon XP
2500+, Athlon 64 3000+).