With no stop or start bits, you are correct.....I was referring to transfer
speeds intranet.

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Bino Gopal
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:09 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Network Storage

Small correction (so we can get accurate speed measurements): for bandwidth
purposes, it's not a 10:1 ratio, it's 8:1.

So 1MB/sec = 8Mb/sec (1 Megabyte = 8Megabits).

Or if your cable modem gives you 8Mbits/sec down, that's actually 1
Megabyte/sec, and if it's 10 Mbits/sec (Mbps), that's 1.25 Megabytes/sec
(MBps).

This is b/c bandwidth is measured in base10 (the decimal system), while
storage is measured in base2--ignoring cheating HD Mfrs of course who use
the decimal system to make their HDs seem bigger b/c they measure the
capacity they advertise in decimal while files and folder are still stored
in base2, which means my 1TB drive really stores 931GB of data...but
anywho...HTH!

                                                        BINO