From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Brian Weeden
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 07:39
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] HDTV Math

If you looked at satellite HD broadcasts I would suspect you would find even
worse bitrates among several of the HD stations.

It all comes down to bandwidth - the cable satellite operators have limited
bandwidth and are trying to cram as many stations in as possible, and in
many case this means highly compressing some stations.  Usually they try to
make sure that HD signals where it is most likely to be noticed (Discovery
HD, PPV movies and live sports) get the best signal while other pseudo HD
channels like History or HGTV will get re-compressed like crazy.

Brian Weeden
Technical Consultant
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundation.org>
+1 (514) 466-2756 Canada