If you change channel (which can definitely be a good idea if you're in an area with interference/other networks, etc), I would generlaly stick to channel 1,6, or 11. These are the only 3 channels that don't overlap with other channels.

Not always straightforward though -- at my last apartment there were a lot of wireless networks showing up on channels 6 and 11, so I changed my wrt54g to channel 1. Problem is, laptops would just drop the signal every so often, even though I saw no other networks on channel 1. Putting back to channel 6 or 11 made the dropping stop.

Scott