Steve,
I have 7 APC UPS's and one Belkin UPS. I have never had a serious problem with my newer APC devices, but did go thru the eye with the 4 old devices (circa 1997) that used the old proprietary APC rs-232x interface. Never did get them to communicate well. These old units are now in their 3d replacement battery cycle. They run 24/7.

All newer APC devices use USB which works very well. And the APC SW has gotten a bit better also. These newer units run 24/7. The Belkin device was a gift (circa 2001), and, it lost its' internal battery in late 2007 (limited use).

Please know that the model #'s for UPS's are just often model #'s. Por Ehemplo:

Old APC Back-Ups Pro BP1100 is really 670W usable
Back-Ups XS BR1500(RS) is really 865W usable
Back-Ups XS BX1500LCD(XS) is really 865W usable
Old Belkin F6C-350USB is really 277W usable

I just do not have a useful formula to share anymore because our psus have changed so much over the years. I have tested all my machines with one of my new BX1500LCD(XS) psus. It has a nice little LCD window that displays things like internal battery charge, service line voltage, ups line voltage, present wattage demand, calculated run time if/when service main goes out. It is very helpful.

Oddly, I notice that my older 300W psus draw 140-160W at power up depending on how many add-in cards are present. My newer EPS12 610W psus draw 60-80W at power up depending on the same thing.

Since I suspect this indicates better efficiency at the psu, I just do not know how to suggest the proper UPS to you. But, basically I would add up all the "implied" wattage loads you intend to connect to the psu. Like the PC, Display, net stuff, whatever. Multiply whatever value you get by 2x. Then, go shop for a UPS that is closest to your computed value BUT on the HIGH Side; like one model bigger if necessary. Please use actual output wattage of the UPS for this. If you choose to step up this calculation to 2.5x or 3x, then what you really just buy is extra minutes of "on-battery" run-time to provede more time to properly power down your stuff; like not be in a rush!
Trust me, trying to read a kbd via candle light at 0330hrs can be tough.

Other than trying to figure out proper size of the UPS, you need to be sure to get features like Line Voltage Regulation (AVR?), Sagging Voltage Boost, High Voltage Trim, and, quick action to avoid voltage spikes hitting your psu(s) when the power goes out.

And, yes, as Christopher mentioned, pay attention to how long your units might operate on the batteries. Ideally, you should plan to be able to power OFF all your UPS's loads before the battery is 60% depleted. Still doing this research, but when UPS batteries get depleted below ~50% too many times (and I have done this several times in the past 5 years!) they just go sour really quick and fail completely after ~2 years! If you have a ready source of "cheap" replacement batteries, you are good to go. OTOH, retail and other high quality UPS batteries can be pricey!! BTW, I now use Yuasa replacments. APC is just way too proud of their decals!!! LOL!
Hope this helps,
Duncan

Steve Tomporowski wrote:
Today went down and looked at what Best Buy has for UPS's and a have a couple of questions.

First, is it a good idea to buy a larger UPS and put two computers on it? The rationale is that one computer is on 24/7, but the other is on only when I'm working at it. So, the 24/7 computer can have the UPS shut it down, while I'll shut down the other by hand. Or would it be better to run each one off a smaller UPS? I am assuming here that any UPS I get will have a USB connector to shut the computer down. Doesn't seem logical otherwise.

Second, what is the right size/power? For getting things shut down, 10 minutes is enough, I really don't imagine sitting playing Far Cry 2 for two hours, waiting for the power to come on.....

Thanks....Steve

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4193 (20090626) __________

http://www.eset.com