It is a Gigabyte P35-DS4, Revision 2.0. It's a fairly old mobo, now. Award Bios F14, recently updated.

Yeah, not much said about it. Pretty scary that one setting like this can render a system unbootable...

At least Windows Backup & Restore worked in this instance...it was truly lovely to be back up so quickly.

Given that the SSD is only 160 GB, it actually makes sense to make a larger image, in this age of mutli-terrabyte drives. I just need to get the email folders off the boot drive.

On 1/7/2010 9:45 PM, Rick Glazier wrote:
Wow, scary was not stong enough a word in your case.
At least you were ready for trouble.
What MB, and/or whos BIOS?
I think I've seen that setting in my new Intel MBs, but never looked it up...

Is that something "they" need to explain better, or...

Rick Glazier

From: "Anthony Q. Martin"
boy...

I got my butt burned on this one.

I went into the bios and enabled RAID/AHCI, picking only AHCI.

Well, after doing that I could no longer get the system to boot.

Could not repair.

Had to restore the fresh image I made this morning.

Only had Win764, updates, Firefox, AVG, Acrobat Reader, Windows Live in that image.

However, one smart thing I did is was to move all of my C:\Users\Anthony data folders over to the D: drive. I had copied all of my backed up data (which it took me days to get backed up) back to it earlier today. That took hours. Fortunately, aFter I restored the image that had the user files moved over to the SSD, when I got booted up again all my stuff was in the right place. No more coping needed as everything on the D drive was still here and the image restore pointed to all the right places. So I reinstalled Thunderbird and copied all my email folders back (I still need to move the data folder off the C drive to simplify this part). Now to install a few more apps and I'll be fully back to where I was.

Big plus to making a small image and keeping your data on a separate partition. Saves major time.