Yes. In general, you cannot swap freely between AHCI and IDE/ATA modes, as
this can result in a no-boot situation. You can usually just swap it back
and be back up and running, though. Interestingly, I have had machines
(notably, our fleet of Dell Latitude D630's and E6400's under Vista and W7)
where I COULD freely swap between the two--not sure what the difference is.

There are some steps you can take to make the change without reinstalling
the OS.