The iPad is NOT a computer, no matter how much The Steve or Apple marketing
says so.  It is not a tablet PC.

It is a consumer electronic device, akin to a Kindle or DVD player.  Think
of it in that context.  It is not meant to replace a computer or laptop as
it provides different, more specialized functionality.  Just like my Lenovo
x200t tablet and iPhone provide completely different functionality.  So the
reference to 1984 is not warranted IMHO.

Now, there is something to be said for consumer lock-in to Apple's world and
content delivery schemes (ie iTunes), but so far it has proved a far
smoother end user experience than anything else the general public uses to
provide multimedia content on a device.  Until something come along that is
easier to use for your average person, the public is going to be just happy
living in Apple's world.

Brian Weeden
Technical Advisor
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundation.org>