TB has a function where it only loads embedded images for people you've added to your address book. This prevents "web bugs" from letting spammers know you've open their message. More of a privacy protection than anti-malware of course.

Along with using the above I've setup mine so that plain text is my default view and then added a button to "one time" toggle on HTML view when I get email from sources that I trust to be sending me HTML email. Interesting the differences between the plain text version and HTML version as they are totally separate MIME section thus can actually contain two different payloads. Viewing source makes this more obvious and it just like HTML page's 'noscript' section vs. main page which displays different versions when scripting is disabled.