I just looked quickly and did not find a definitive answer as to which conductor carries the signal. Neutral being tied to earth ground at the SE would likely eat the signal IMO.

From what I've seen over the past 30 years with X10 "carrier current operated switches" they have the Achilles heel that signals do not travel between the two "legs" of power feed without an active 220V device running or a signal coupler added at the mains service panel to join the legs. PNA's would not be a panacea given that line noise would be an issue, this has been very true of X10 remote control systems.

Best bet is still a single CAT 6 or 5E drop terminating at Gb Ethernet switch to feed the devices. Of course it really depends on how much throughput you need and if latency plays a role as to if power line or wireless bridge makes more sense.