A wifi bridge is just that and there are more than a few out there. AFAIK, take an old WRT54G(S) w/ dd-wrt & it can be setup to work in reverse as a client/bridge instead of an AP/Router. Don't know if that's going to work better than simply putting the devices on the wifi directly though.

IMHO it does not take major construction to run a single drop across a basement & up through the floor in most houses, YMMV. 99% of the time that's what I wold do, the other 1% I simply run wire around edges of room! ;)

Let us know how it works out