Agreed, but with a little different argument. Expecting Microsoft to keep
the same OS footprint, while adding 8+ years of development, 8+ years
additional built-in drivers (this one should not be underestimated--baked in
driver support is a good chunk of total size), and thousands of
features/enhancements (including "under the covers" security/functionality
enhancements, and I'm not interested in the predictable "that feature
doesn't count because _I_ don't use/like it" argument) is not realistic.
It's also just part of the image-based installation approach. Remember how
adding features in XP sometimes requires you to point to Windows
installation files, then (depending) Service Pack files, etc...that's not
ever required in Vista or W7. All components are a checkbox away from
installed. Some may consider that bloat, but given that it makes enhances
the user experience and is less error prone, I consider it progress. Disk
space is cheap, and we just aren't talking about a meaningful amount of
space here. If the base OS install was 100GB, I'd completely agree with
you--but it isn't. If there was economic incentive to make their flagstream
client operating system smaller, they would--but I really don't think that a
"Only requires xGB of disk space installed!" sticker on the front of the box
is going to net them any additional meaningful sales.

64MB? Is this a serious argument? Even pfSense dropped support for 64MB CF
installs on their embedded releases, and it's little more than a NanoBSD
kernel, pf, and some PHP scripts. You're more than welcome to go back a
decade or more if you're adamant that an OS take up no more than 64MB, but
get real. You can still fit the compressed image on a $0.50 dual layer DVD,
or a $15 USB thumbdrive if you want to carry an image around.

Frankly, if a system is so space constrained that 14GB is enough to lose
sleep over, it doesn't have any business running Vista or W7--it should be
on the trash pile, or stick with whatever OS version is already on it.

Greg

DVD.