The internet backbone isn't anywhere near where it needs to be to support
Gigabit.  Not even close,
no way, no how.  40Gbps backbone links are standard with 100Gbps being upgraded
to but do the math
if everyone has gigabit.... not gonna happen.

(I have 500/100 here in Northern VA).

--

Bryan G. Seitz