Peter, Dan,

Sorry to jump into the middle of the conversation :-)

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 10:40:13AM -0500, Dan Lydick wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Some good thinking here.  In your _next_ e-mail
> you wrote,
>
> > How clean are the separations between packages/groups of packages in
> > ClassPath?
> > i.e. how possible would it be to use say java.sql.* with another
> > implementation of java.lang?

I'd like to say that I'm currently doing this. And not just with
java.sql.*.

In a (insert NDA-covered tape) project I'm on at the moment, the vendor
has either removed or crippled a few core packages in their proprietary
VM. So far, I have had to source the following packages from GNU
Classpath to get 3rd party libs working (and to add missing
functionality such as JDBC):

  java.sql.*
  java.util.logging.*
  javax.sql.*
  javax.transaction.*
  javax.transaction.xa.*

Now, granted there are a lof of interfaces in there, but as things
stand these replacements have behaved as 1:1 drop in replacements.

(I know that the way Sun has done things, a lot of Java packages aren't
really isolated; there is substantial amount of cross package dependency
in the core Java API)

Thanks,

Steph

Stephane Meslin-Weber         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Software Engineer             Web: http://odonata.tangency.co.uk