Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Having package
> >>
> >> Why do you say that?   Suppose for J2SE 6, the EG adds the public
> >> class java.lang.VMObject.  then what?
> >
> > Then we rename it. A new Java version will involve changes to the VM
> > interface anyway, so this makes no difference.
>
> I assume you'd keep it in java.lang?
>
> Isn't that just sliding the deck chairs around?

No, it's a trivial cost. Your proposed solution is in reality much more
expensive.

You're missing the fact that moving these classes into another packages
creates another problem that is much worse. Namely that you often need
to access private state in the public classes, you can do that by living
in the same package, that's why the VM* classes live in the same package
as their public counterpart.

Regards,
Jeroen