On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 16:45 +1000, Peter Donald wrote:

> >If you have downloaded Harmony, which intends to be a full JDK including
> >a VM and class library, why would you want to be able to use that with the
> >class library from a different JDK?
> >

> In "[arch] VM Interface" on "6/06/2005 10:32 AM" I wrote
>
> "I assume that if the Harmony JVM gets half as good as is hoped
> there will be companys who want to adopt the JVM but continue
> to use Suns class library so that differences in libraries don't hurt
> their customers."

If the Harmony JVM gets half as good as hoped, it will be fully J2SE 5
compatible. If it passes the TCK, it's compatible. If that still hurts
people, then that code is broken. You've got to draw the line somewhere.

And there is no reason to believe the VM part of Harmony will have
higher quality than the class library. Especially not if the VM is
written from scratch.

> >Disregarding the illegality of distributing such a combo,
> >
> I am not sure why it would be illegal if someone like IBM were to use the
> Harmony JVM but use Suns class library. Actually I think that this use case
> is one of the aims of the project.

It is in violation of Sun's EULA.

/Sven