Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> That's not an unreasonable idea.
>>> Thanks for volunteering :)
>>>
>>> Go for it!
>>>

>> Well It depends on the Harmony goals at the first place.
>> I hope the Harmony will offer more then just
>> Solaris/Sparc, Win/x86, Linux/i386/amd64.

Can we reach a concensus on getting something started on Windows/x86 and
Linux/i386 initially (as the popular development platforms)?  Then...

> I assume that whatever people want to do, we will do.  I hope that it
> can be ported - if there's interest - to any platform out there.   BSD,
> for example, and embedded.  Also, a much wider hardware matrix,
> including PPC, Itanium, etc...

... of course, pushing it out to other platforms will a key part of the
project growth.

>> Right now the GNU classpath is GNU tools only. Trying to
>> compile that on WIN32 or WIN64 is very painful without
>> going trough some posix layer.
>> Also the GUI part is GTK only, so even with using things like
>> gtk-win32 it adds an extra layer in between.
>

> Great - so factor this into the class library requirements paper that
> you volunteered for :)
>

>> Anyhow, like said at the beginning, I think we should build our
>> own classpath. I can volunteer for that, using APR as a
>> OS abstraction layer. For me using GNU classpath could give
>> some jump start, but in the long run, we'll have to build
>> our own classpath.
>

> That's not unreasonable - we'll do it if there's interest.   As for
> now, as you note, we can work w/ GNU Classpath as a jumpstart and see
> where it takes us.
>
> I think that we should remain committed to making things as pluggable
> as possible, and will re-kindle the VM/Classlibrary discussion we
> started a while back.

This seems like the most prudent approach -- agreeing upon a particular
VM/ClassLibrary interface that will be suitable for all comers.

> We also want to be sure that if we do any class library work here,  that
> we modularize in such a way that parts can be repurposed  elsewhere -
> like swing or other such uglies...

Agreed.  A good modularity story will allow flexibility in combining
components from different sources, and flexibility in component development.

--

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.