Thanks for bringing this up.  This has been on my to-do list to talk about.

inline

Vladimir Strigun wrote:
We already discussed several questions about tests. But I'd like to
open a new topic about regression test suite. Some API bugs have been
fixed (or patch suggested) and I think it will be useful to have
regression tests for all these bugs to avoid them reappearing in the
future.

I think the natural place for the regression tests should be together
with the unit tests. I am not sure, however, if the regression tests
should be marked explicitly or differ from the unit tests in any other
specific way.

What do you think about it? Any preferences?

I think that putting them in a parallel tree is worth considering, just for the sake of organization, as long as this is transparent to the tools a developer/user would use to do run the tests. I do think that "regression test" is a broad term, and we might want to harvest things out of regression tests for where our unit tests fell short.

I also believe we should be encourging bug reporters to submit a test that demonstrates the bug. We'd acquire a good set of tests at that point.

I was going to take a hard look at the build/test framework this week(end). Might as well start now. Currently, it's JUnit. I'm wondering if anyone would consider switching to TestNG. I've never used it, but it's written by a guy I really respect and the point was to address shortcomings he found in JUnit...

geir

Thank you,
Vladimir Strigun, Intel Middleware Products Division.