>I sense that there is an underlying reason for the objection to writing
>JavaDoc ;-)  Do you really *want* URLs to Sun's website, or do you
think
>that writing the doc will be too much effort, or ... ?  How about
>writing it in multiple languages if that's where our skills are?

The underlying reason is that I think we doubtfully will be able to
provide better Javadoc for the *whole* implementation then the official
spec. But we will be able to describe our implementation specific things
when the official spec is ambiguous or allows different behaviors. And
that would the value of our docs.

BTW who is the target reader of our JavaDoc? If it is a developer who
uses JavaDoc as an API reference then what would be the motivation for
him to use our Javadoc instead of the official spec?
I think Classpath is a little bit different story. It is not a Java(tm)
so a developer who writes for Classpath has to validate with Classpath
docs whether his code is going to work.

Thanks,
Mikhail Loenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

package/type/method
>>>naming is enough of an index to go and find it easily on the Sun
>>
>> website
>>
>>>already.  Publishing an index of links doesn't add anything.
>>>
>>>If the additional 'value' are the comments that are added, then I
>>
>> expect
>>
>>>that annotating Sun's original JavaDoc may be frowned upon(*).  At
>>
>> least
>>
>>>if we originally author all the documentation we can do what we like.
>>>
>>>I'm interested to hear others' views.
>>>
>>>(*) you may recall the brouhaha over JDocs a while ago (if not,
google
>>>for 'Rick Ross JDocs' to get a flavour)
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Tim