Ryan Bloom wrote:
As one of the original authors of APR, I would like to suggest that
instead of using OS dependant native code, when we get to the point of
writing awt, we should create an apr-window project, and create the
library for the abstraction layer.  I have had enough conversations
with other APR developers to be relatively certain that this idea
would be well received.

Hi Ryan, nice to see you around here.

I'm happy that Enrico has changed his mind about APR and I would also be in favor of harmony committing back code to APR.

Another think that I wonder, for the windowing stuff, why don't we use Cairo[1]?

Firefox 2.0 is going to be based on it, so you would expect lots of polishing/fixing/profiling/OS-portability going on on that front that we would just reuse and it's dual-licensed under LGPL or MPL 1.1, so if we release it under the MPL 1.1 license it's also compatible.

What do you think?

[1] http://cairographics.org/

--
Stefano.