On 2/16/06, Fernando Cassia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
> You try to sound clever by making that statement, but imho, despite any
> other speed-up work who might be implemented, Sun's solution
> is very important, and something that should have been implemented a long,
> long time ago. I welcome their implementation, even if late.
>
> Get this: Splash screens sever an important purpose: they're a visual cue to
> tell the user that the program is loading (even if it takes a long time).

Yes, splash screen feature is very important from usability point of you.
However the problem itself is not completely clear for me: even early
I was able to show splash screen if I wanted. Obviously, Swing stuff
takes to much time to be initialized, but it start initialization only
when the first reference to Swing is processed, i.e. direct or
indirect call requires UIManager to be loaded. Therefore you can
easily show splash screen at the begging of the program and continue
with loading all other 'heavy-weight' stuff then. Does it make sense?
For instance, I used SWT just to show splash screen quickly and then
continue with Swing-based UI. Of course, such approach requires VM to
be completely initialized anyway (in contrast to Mustang's splashes).

I welcome any approaches which makes JVM start up faster :-)

--
Anton Avtamonov,