Hi Richard,

Yes, I'm always for simplifying testing routine. And creating a detail guide
for configuring some testing server is a possible way to do it. However I'd
prefer to try to develop a simple local test server that is easy to
configure. I believe that it will cover most of cases.

And I assume that there may be a number of sophisticated test cases that
requires a special server set up. But I'd place them separately this was
discussed in '[testing] code for exotic configurations' topic.

Otherwise there is a chance to get the following detailed instructions:
1) Download http server from http://www.apache.org
50) Do this and that
100) Now you can run net tests

Thanks,
Stepan

On 2/22/06, Richard Liang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dears,
> Agree that server (maybe not local) is required for some sophisticated
> test cases. To make thing simply, we may provide more detail guide
> (step-by-step) on how to setup/configure a typical testing server. Or
> shall we setup a test server and allow user to share our testing server?
>
> Richard Liang
> China Software Development Lab, IBM
>

> Tim Ellison wrote:
> > Stepan Mishura wrote:
> >
> >> I glanced through a local server code from HARMONY-57 contribution
> without
> >> looking into implementation details and ... this made me think. I catch
> hold
> >> of the following:
> >> 1) The server contains some testing code that looks not good for me
> >>

> > Care to explain?
> >

> >> 2) It is not as simple as I expected - my impression was that a local
> server
> >> implementation should be very simple because we are not going to test
> >> whether it corresponds to http spec. or not. IMHO, it should only
> provide a
> >> test case with:
> >> - a port number to open communication
> >> - access to a server's input/output streams to verify a request to a
> server
> >> or to form a server's response.
> >> Naive? Well, I'm aware that I'm not so experienced in java.netdevelopment
> >> and testing and may be I'm wrong.
> >>

> > The local server I referenced can be used for a number of the java.net
> > tests, some of which do require more sophisticated behavior, like basic
> > authentication, eTags, etc.
> >
> > I agree that the tests in HARMONY-71 only need something to accept their
> > connection, but I was simply pointing out that there will be a local
> > server we can use if that contribution is accepted into the project, so
> > probably not worth writing another.
> >

> >> I'd like to start with the first issue (BTW, is it ok to discuss
> details of
> >> contribution implementation if it is not accepted yet?).
> >>

> > Sure -- I would expect people to be evaluating it thoroughly so that
> > they can vote the code in/out.  The PPMC will shout early if the
> > paperwork implies a contribution is unacceptable.
> >

> >> Can we avoid adding
> >> a code that is specific for some test case to a local server?
> >>

> > Does it interfere with what you want to do?
> > In some cases, the test case needs to know what is on the server a
> > priori, so that it can test the client behavior correctly.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim

> so
> >>>

> <HARMONY-57>\Harmony\Harmony_Tests\src\test\java\tests\support\Support_HttpServer.java

> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-71?page=comments#action_12366637
> ]

> if

> I'm

> [...]