Hi Mark,

>I will submit patches to improve the download process for the few
>people that don't have (transparent proxy) internet access.

Please add property IdontHappyWithNetworkBuildUseLocalCopies :-)

>Can you provide more details of the test failures?  I only have one
>which only affects the eclipse compiler which (probably correctly)
>doesn't like the non-ASCII characters in the URITest.java source.

The problem is signed BC provider jar. May be it makes sense to update the
ant script to download BC provider's jar, remove signature and copy unsigned
jar file to deploy/jre/lib/ext.

>I suspect the old known problems you refer to are the test server
>issues?  Again, there was nothing I could do about these without
>adding IP to the integration process.
>I did however specifically not configure the test servers on my local
>machine and excluded all the tests that fail.  I felt this would be a
>reasonable compromise.  The alternative would have been excluding all
>the tests until everyone was happy.  But it would be a shame to take
>that route when there are thousands of working tests and likely less
>than 100 failures.

I'm OK with excluding failing tests until we work out acceptable solution.

>I was only trying to help our over-worked committers.  I apologies if
>I made mistakes.  I never claimed it would be perfect.  I'd be very
>happy to accept constructive comments on how I could have done it
>better (without adding extra IP and giving Geir headaches).

Mark, you don't need to excuse for your work - everybody does mistakes. You
did great job with contributions integration! I only worried about how to
make process of tracking commits to repository more transparent and easy.

Thanks,
Stepan

On 3/16/06, Mark Hindess  wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Stepan Mishura  wrote:
> > Leo,
> >
> > I agree with you that big commits are hard to review and to understand
> what
> > was changed. Why not to partition them? At least I don't understand why
> > HARMONY-57 and HARMONY-88 were committed in one day. Integrating
> > these two contributions of course changed the build: wow, the build now
> > downloads resources from the net and it failed to do this ...
> downloading them
> > by hands ... opsss, no property IdontHappyWithNetworkBuildUseLocalCopies
> > hacking the ant script .... wow, the script to run test trying to
> download
> > the same resources ... hacking the script ... hmmm, there are failed
> tests,
> > what is wrong? .... aha, old known problems ... well, are there any
> other
> > surprises? :-)
>
> Hi Stepan,
>
> As for the download issues, I've already mentioned on another thread
> that I was aware of this and have a plan to fix it.
>
> I wasn't in a position to do much about this in the script I submitted
> because Geir had already expressed concern over provenance issues and
> I went to some length to ensure I avoided adding anything new in the
> process.  (Which is why for instance I used sed to create the module
> ant files rather than including them in the patch - the latter would
> be easier but with the former it is clear I'm not contribution IP to
> the process.)
>
> I will submit patches to improve the download process for the few
> people that don't have (transparent proxy) internet access.
>
> Can you provide more details of the test failures?  I only have one
> which only affects the eclipse compiler which (probably correctly)
> doesn't like the non-ASCII characters in the URITest.java source.
>
> I suspect the old known problems you refer to are the test server
> issues?  Again, there was nothing I could do about these without
> adding IP to the integration process.
> I did however specifically not configure the test servers on my local
> machine and excluded all the tests that fail.  I felt this would be a
> reasonable compromise.  The alternative would have been excluding all
> the tests until everyone was happy.  But it would be a shame to take
> that route when there are thousands of working tests and likely less
> than 100 failures.
>
> The build machine I tested on has a very strict firewall, and the only
> additional rule I added to get the build to work was to allow outbound
> HTTP to ibilbio.
>
> I was only trying to help our over-worked committers.  I apologies if
> I made mistakes.  I never claimed it would be perfect.  I'd be very
> happy to accept constructive comments on how I could have done it
> better (without adding extra IP and giving Geir headaches).
>
> Regards,
> Mark.

Stepan Mishura