It's a freeware with its own license. The license prohibits using it
for creating
open source software "that requires the user of the MASM32 project to surrender
the rights they are afforded under the MASM32 licence"
http://masm32.com/mlicence.htm
I'm not a legal person but I think it is OK for experimenting.

Further I think we need to get rif of that dependency. I like what
Zsejki Sorin Miklós suggested in this thread.

BTW, Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is also not necessary - I've
uninstalled it
and build still works.

Thanks,
Mikhail