Tim Ellison wrote:
> Yes it does, your commit will fail if I have the lock; but I am abusing
> it to achieve a somewhat different goal of 'inadvertent modification'.

OK, we both agree on the "abuse" part. ;-P

> If we cannot contact the lock holder we simply break/steal the lock.

Right.  But, locks should only be used for files which require
serialized modifications, such as binary blobs.

Other commit control should be made through pre-commit scripts.

> Not really.  I can add the warning, but I was looking for a way to
> ensure people did not mistakenly change String or did not read the
> doc/dev list.  By failing people's commit and making them explicitly
> acquire the token first they have to know what they are doing.

So, you should investigate a pre-commit script based approach.  For
example, you could require a harmony:string-revision property on the
String.java file.  The pre-commit script would check that any commit
increases this revision by one; if not, then an explicit (custom) error
message can be given.

Quite easy to achiev with svnlook, etc.

What do you think?

Etienne