Archie Cobbs wrote:
Etienne Gagnon wrote:
Tim Ellison wrote:
Not really.  I can add the warning, but I was looking for a way to
ensure people did not mistakenly change String or did not read the
doc/dev list.  By failing people's commit and making them explicitly
acquire the token first they have to know what they are doing.

So, you should investigate a pre-commit script based approach.  For
example, you could require a harmony:string-revision property on the
String.java file.  The pre-commit script would check that any commit
increases this revision by one; if not, then an explicit (custom) error
message can be given.

I kindof agree with Etienne.. it seems like you are preemptively trying
to solve a problem that hasn't occurred yet (which is another one of
those root-of-all-evil kind of things).

Why not just put a warning in String.java, and then, if people turn out
to be too hard-headed to heed it, bring in harder enforcement later.
As with all open-source projects, if people aren't already being reasonable
and communicating in the first place, then we'll have larger problems.

While I understand Tim's motivation, and I'm scared of the same thing, I'm also not a fan of this, although I'm tired and want to give it more consideration.

The warning won't won't solve the issue that Tim's trying to solve (as I understand it) That someone might *accidentally* patch String, a problem a warning won't help with. It will serve as a useful reminder for those of us that are 'recall challenged' like me.

Again, I'll think more, but my first reaction is to

1) Remind people

2) put a warning

3) Lock down function and behavior tightly with tests - that if modified, tests will break, and that should raise an alarm to the committer.

Being able to grok and agree to this is a requirement around here, and will be more so in the future.