Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

George Harley wrote:

Of course, the text module has only "implementation-independent tests that designed to be run from classpath". For modules that have got implementation-specific tests then I suppose we could use something like "org.apache.harmony.[module].tests.impl.[package under test]" or "org.apache.harmony.[module].tests.internal.[package under test]" etc. I've got no preference.

-1

Put them in the same package as the class being tested, please, if there is no problem being run that way.

Sorry to be so snippy.  Been a long day.

Sure. No worries.

Why would we want this convoluted package name? Why wouldn't we want to let them be in the same package as the class being tested since it's implementation testing?

OK, point taken about the long package names that may result for tests of org.apache.harmony.* stuff. If the class under test is an internal type (i.e. in the org.apache.harmony.* package space) then I am sure we can all agree on a sensible abbreviation so that the org.apache.harmony part does not appear twice. So, for instance, if we are testing public methods on org.apache.harmony.security.foo.bar.MyType from the classpath then we could have the test package be org.apache.harmony.security.tests.foo.bar.

I am concerned that we are all agree on what we mean by "implementation"-specific testing and "internal"-specific testing. I know it has been confusing me a lot.

If we want to run API tests that are specific to our implementation then there is no need to have the test types in the same package name as the class under test and no need for those tests to be on the bootclasspath. Orthogonal to that are tests that are actually testing the internals of a type - these are what I take to be candidates for being in the same package and on the bootclasspath at test time.

Best regards,
George