2006/5/6, Vladimir Gorr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

If I've correctly understood you use the Eclipse pre-installed before (you
mention about the ECLIPSE_HOME).
Therefore I'd also advise you to clean the %ECLIPSE_HOME%\configuration
directory before start the eclipse.bat script.
I very hope it should help to elimante your issue. Please let me know
about
results.

I want to make a small addition to Vladimir's suggestion. Eclipse doesn't
work after its configuration directory is erased completelty. You should
keep config.ini file in it or eclipse won't start any more.

Destruction stack unwinding warning should not be seen in normal VM
operation. Something wrong is happening and if you see the warning you may
get crash later because exception handlers chain may be damaged. We've tried
to eliminate all C++ objects like logger on the path where stack unwinding
happens but probably didn't find all of them. Which version of eclipse are
you running? We didn't try to use eclipse of version after 3.1.1.

By the way, if VM some day will be compiled without C++ exceptions support
on windows it will give performance improvement and there won't be any
problems with C++ objects on the stack. Unfortunately some MS header files
require exceptions support.

Besides could you please try to run this script w/o setting the
ECLIPSE_HOME?
Why I insist on this is I cannot reproduce your issue on Wiindows. All
works
fine for me
for the latest binaries got after accepting the patch mentioned for the
JIRA-443.

Thanks,
Vladmir.

On 5/6/06, Rana Dasgupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>   ij.exe on Windows ( both debug and release ) build and  run fine with
> simple tests.
> However, with both versions, when running Eclipse, a few of the Eclipse
> options( eg., "What's New" etc. from the Welcome Screen ) don't work for
me,
> though the IDE launches quite nicely and I can define a project and so
> on. Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> On the ij console, I get errors like:
>
> ERROR: Destructive unwinding: C++ objects detected on stack! droping
> 0x0619A8E4
>
> setting curr 0x0619B300
>
> Unhandled event loop exception
>
> Reason:
>
> javax/naming/directory/DirContext

> My ECLIPSE_HOME is quite healthy BTW and launching Eclipse from there
> locally, using a different jre works fine.
>
> Some poking around with the debugger showed that the alarming error
> message "Distructive Unwinding: C++ Objects detected..." is not as
terrible
> as it first looks. During stack unwind if the stack iterator finds some
> unexpected C++ objects like the logger etc. on the stack, it tries to
look
> for a healthy handler, which it seems to find here anyway..
>
> stack_iterator_ia32.cpp :
>
> void cpp_set_last_frame(...)
> The javax are the external classes(crypto, net, security...) being
> pre-copied from Harmony, so could there possibly be a problem with
these?

> There are also a couple of smoke test failures when I ran the attached
> tests... I am attaching one...happens both with jit and interpreter.....
>
> I will keep looking, but any help would be welcome :-)
>
> Rana Dasgupta
> Intel Middleware Dev.
>

> On 5/4/06, Andrey Chernyshev <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > Thanks for the useful notes:
> >
> > > 1) On setting the COMPILER_CFG_SCRIPT as outlined in the README.  I
> > > could not figure out how to get it to work with the Windows Platform
> > > SDK.  There is no vcvars.bat in the platform sdk just SetEnv.Cmdwhich
> > > doesn't work quite the same way.  I switched it to use VisualStudio
> > .NET
> > > environment [vcvars.bat] and it worked fine.  Are there any tricks
> > > setting the environment to an SDK prompt?
> >
> > Did you try setting something like
COMPILER_CFG_SCRIPT=c:\SDK\SetEnv.Cmd
> > ?
> >
> > The idea was that COMPILER_CFG_SCRIPT is a hook that lets a developer
> > to configure environment for C compiling in a way whatever he likes,
> > you can put here your  own script that does the right things in case
> > SetEnv.Cmd doesn't work for some reason. On my box, however, setting
> > it directly to SetEnv.Cmd worked as well.
> >
> > > 2) I suggest that people who download should avoid directory names
> > with
> > > spaces in them when you run build.cmd.  I originally tried it in a
> >
> > One more tip: if you don't want something to be downloaded at all, you
> > can use the pre-installed software by setting the appropriate *_HOME
> > variable.
> >
> > For example, if people hate to download Eclipse, it should help if the
> > ECLIPSE_HOME is set to point to the Eclipse 3.1.1 installation
> > directory.
> > One more option is to specify alternate zip archive location in
> > make/*.properties file.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andrey.
> >

> > On 5/4/06, Elford, Chris L < [EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > >  This is an impressive contribution.  I have downloaded to a Windows
> > XP
> > > system and have successfully built the VM and have run Eclipse 3.1.1
> > > using it.
> > >
> > >  A few notes on getting it to work on Windows.
> > >
> > > 1) On setting the COMPILER_CFG_SCRIPT as outlined in the README.  I
> > > could not figure out how to get it to work with the Windows Platform
> > > SDK.  There is no vcvars.bat in the platform sdk just SetEnv.Cmdwhich
> > > doesn't work quite the same way.  I switched it to use VisualStudio
> > .NET
> > > environment [vcvars.bat] and it worked fine.  Are there any tricks
> > > setting the environment to an SDK prompt?
> > >
> > > 2) I suggest that people who download should avoid directory names
> > with
> > > spaces in them when you run build.cmd.  I originally tried it in a
> > > subdirectory off of my Desktop "Documents and Settings".  It failed
> > > about halfway thru the download phase.  I worked around this by
doing
> > > "cd C:\Docume~1" but I assuming that just moving it to a directory
> > > without a space would have worked as well.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to build on my linux box now!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Chris Elford
> > > Intel Middleware Products Division

Division
> > > team. The
> > > archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following location:
> > >
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-438
> > >
> > > The issue contains two zip archives:
> > >
> > >    DRLVM_src_20060502_1806_Harmony.zip
> > >        - The DRLVM source code contribution, containing the
following
> > > components:
> > > VM (or VM core)
> > > GC
> > > JIT
> > > Bytecode verifier
> > > Kernel classes
> > > OS layer
> > >
> > >    DRLVM_src_20060502_1806_Patches_for_Harmony.zip
> > >        - A few patches that should be applied to Harmony class
> > > libraries
> > >     in order to integrate them with DRLVM.
> > >
> > > We checked that the JRE combined from the DRLVM and the Harmony
class
> > > libraries
> > > is capable of running Eclipse and Ant. It was tested with Harmony
> > > classes taken
> > > at 03/13 (plus some contributions existed to that date, such as
> > > HARMONY-39 and
> > > HARMONY-88) on Windows and Linux IA32.
> > >
> > > The building system included with the DRLVM is entirely written on
Ant

> > > and is
> > > capable of producing a workable JRE combined from DRLVM and Harmony
> > > class libraries (we have intentionally included the compilation of
> > class
> > > libraries code into the DRLVM building system to give an example how
> > the
> > > native
> > > code for the complex multi-component project can be built with Ant).
> > > Both VM and
> > > Class Libraries can be built with MSVC or Intel C compiler on
Windows
> > > and gcc or
> > > Intel C compiler on Linux IA32. Eclipse 3.1.1 compiler is used for
> > > compiling the
> > > Java code.
> > >
> > > DRLVM communicates with the Harmony class libraries through the set
of
> > > kernel
> > > classes and VMI interface, as described in the Harmony Class Library
> > > Porting
> > > Documentation. We had to add the java.lang.SringBuffer into the
kernel
> > > classes
> > > set for now since it is tighten to the java.lang.String in our
> > > implementation.
> > >
> > > The DRLVM is not yet a complete full-functional product, there is a
> > > plenty of
> > > things to do such as 1.5 support or missing some of JVMTI/JNI
> > > capabilities.
> > > Please refer to the README.txt and Developers Guide (located in the
> > > 'doc'
> > > directory) provided with the contribution. However, we hope that the
> > > existing VM
> > > implementation, in conjunction with the Harmony class libraries and
> > > Eclipse, at
> > > least should be able to provide the self-hosting environment where
> > > developers
> > > can edit, compile and run Java code using Eclipse, execute Ant (you
> > can
> > > try
> > > to rebuild the DRLVM and Harmony class libraries by executing it's
Ant