2006/5/12, Jimmy, Jing Lv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > Mikhail Fursov wrote:

>> I agree that the easiest way for us is to throw RI or subclass.

>+1.

>> Is it 'bad' practice to fix this "bug" (replace subclass with RI)  on

>user

>> request and do not think about this problem today?

>In this case, though replace StringIndexOutOfBoundsException with

>ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException is surely better, it seems it is
internal

>  implementation what cause the problem. According to the code it use

>String.valueof(str), which writes:

>try {

>          System.arraycopy(data, start, value, 0, count);

>} catch (IndexOutOfBoundsException e) {

>          throw new StringIndexOutOfBoundsException();

>}

>Is it right to StringIndexOutOfBoundsException in String.valueof()?
Then

>to fix this, we shall write another

>try{ ...

>}catch(StringIndexOutOfBoundsException){

>          throw new ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException();

>}

>It is not so beautiful...

I agree that throwing ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException looks quite natural
and more informative when dealing with array arguments.

To have a "beautiful" fix, why don't you just write

System.arraycopy(data, start, value, 0, count);

without trying to catch any exception and rethrow another one?
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, if happened, would be thrown by
System.arraycopy().

As for HARMONY-436, I agree that RI's behaviour in cases 2)-4) looks
more natural than Harmony's but doubtful in cases 1) and 5).

Thanks,

Elena

>However according to

>http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.h
tml

>it has already draw a conclusion that:

>1) throw according to spec

>2) when we discover RI throw difference exception which is not internal

>class, follow RI.

>What real matters is how can developers know what RI throws exactly in

>all situations? Maybe a possible solution is that we fix one by one
only

>when we find the difference.

[1]

and

this

about

>[2].

only

essentials

from

tends

specification

very

the

the

think is

>http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.h
tml

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> Hello,

>>> Let me support Mikhail "we should throw either what RI throws or a

>>> sub-class".