> Chris Gray wrote:
More generally, from a performance point of view it is best not to write
  if (index < 0 || index >= array.length || etc. etc.) {
    throw new FooIndexOutOfBoundsException();
  }
if there is a method call or an array access which will throw the exception anyway. (Many null parameter checks can be omitted for the same reason). Looks like Sun have followed this policy, and dealt with the not-quite-right exception type by fudging the spec to throw the common supertype. :->

That hits the point. What RI throws is natural, just because they write that way. However we will never know what RI writes, we just implement the spec in our way, that's why there are many
if(...){
       throw new exception();
}
and
try{
}catch(){
       throw new exception();
}
in Harmony.

After all, our mission is to make it compatible, right? :)

Chris