I give Sun credit for two things...

1. preventing polluting of the platform a la J++.

"In a June 20, 1996, memo entitled "windows & internet issues" Microsoft's
then-VP Paul Maritz
explained<http://www.courttv.com/archive/trials/microsoft/legaldocs/doj_suit.html>that
it was necessary for the firm to "fundamentally blunt Java/AWT
momentum" in order to "protect our core asset Windows – the thing we get
paid $s for".

2. Continuing pouring $$$ into its development, despite the screams from the
financial gurus telling McNealy and co that it was not "generating money"
for the company.

Had it been an IBM project, it would be as alive today as OpenDoc, IBM
Voicetype, OS/2, Lotus Smartsuite, VisualAge for Java, VisualAge for Basic,
"Person to Person" (video converence package), VisualAge for C++, Hotmedia
(java based streaming), IBM Netcomber, Web Traffic Express (proxy-cache)
.... the list of abandoned IBM software by clueless IBM managers goes on
forever....

So every time I read about some clueless IBM manager rolling and screaming
like a stabbed pig because "Sun still controls OpenOffice" or "Sun should
opensource java" I grin and think no line of code deserves to be sent to
IBM's clueless managers' way...

...I guess "kicking Sun" is becoming some sort of national sport -- not that
they don't have anything to be criticized about....
http://geekgaucho.blogspot.com/2006/05/uglification-of-sun-workstation-cases.html

...but their software strategy and their contributions to the open source
camp over the years is something worth praising, not ridiculing...

Graham Hamilton, Sun VP said in his blog: "The licensing rules for
J2SE 5.0were carefully designed to allow independent, compatible
open-source
implementations of the J2SE specification".

FC