Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Fernando Cassia wrote:
On 5/17/06, Florian Weimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 The JPackage folks have an interesting
discussion, and I expect that the discussion (flaming?) on Debian's
mailing lists will begin once the list server is back up.

Waste of time...
If licenses are irrelevant, the Harmony project is a waste of time as
well.

Sorry, I meant it's a waste of time to devote time -at least for me- to
mailing list discussions and flame wars trying to discuss "interpretations
of the license". It's better and more productive to send all feedback
directly to Sun, instead of trying to guess what something might or might
not mean in the legal text.

Discussion on Debian shipping sun-java5 does not belong here.

GNU/Linux distros shipping a certified java virtual machine is a good
thing for the java ecosystem also because it will make the entire java
package management ecosystem do a quantum leap forward.

But as I mentioned before, this is still irrelevant as far as open-java
efforts because the JRE/JDK source code is not available and cannot be
modified and redistributed, even if it passes the TCK tests.

Sun's new CEO has announced that the question is not 'when' but 'how'
Sun will license their code under an OSI-compatible license.

Well, we have a "how" to propose (donate the code to the ASF and let
Harmony take care of that) what I want to hear in public is why that
doesn't work for Sun.

Because I don't believe that "how" is a question they don't have the start of an answer for.

I don't believe that Rich Green never thought about this before being asked by Jonathan on stage, and really was hoping for input from us. I expect they know exactly what we'd suggest.