Alex Blewitt wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi Alex

> I'd like to start work on an implementation of the pack200
> decompression algorithm, from the specification which is available at
> http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr200/

Great!

> The actual java class/interface is relatively simple, but the
> implementation behind the unpack() and pack() methods decidedly isn't
> :-) My goal will be to provide the unpacking algorithm first, and then
> work on a packer subsequently. I'll probably try to write it in an
> o.a.h module first, and then hook it into the java.util.jar
> classes/packages later.

Makes sense.

> The only problem is that I'm building this on a Mac (primarily) and so
> I don't have the ability to download the IBM VM for bootstrapping the
> VM process (though a later task is to see if I can help with the
> migration of the VM to Mac OS X). Can I develop it against the Java
> 1.4 on my machine for the o.a.h module first, and then contribute it
> in stages?

Yep, in fact you could develop it against a set of 1.5 libraries.  If
you can, keep an eye on what you are using compared to what we have
already got in Harmony, but ultimately you can use any 1.5 APIs and we
will be filling in behind you.

> The other problem is that the API is pretty sparse; the packer either
> unpacks, or it doesn't :-) So from a contribution point of view, there
> may not be much to publically show, but I'd like (if possible) to have
> some of the implementation work made available as I go, in case anyone
> else wants to help out :-)

Yep, feel free to contribute the code before it is hooked in to the
j.u.jar APIs and we can be merging it and compiling it as we go.

> I'd also like to try and design the implementation such that it could
> be downloaded and used by other OSGi implementations (e.g. Eclipse).

That should be relatively easy, since I expect your work will primarily
be in a given package or two, and we can figure out your imports when
you are done.

> If someone can give me some advice as to a suitable package name I can
> make an initial start on an implementation, and then in stages can
> post it to Jira.

If there are any internal-APIs that you expect to be useful outside the
ARCHIVE module (i.e. outside j.u.jar / j.u.zip) then define them in
org.apache.harmony.archive.pack200.  You can go nuts with any
implementation details in package (or multiple packages prefixed with)
org.apache.harmony.archive.internal.pack200.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.