Alex Blewitt wrote:

Actually, it would be good to have some packed Jars that I could then
test my unpacking algorithm on. Does anyone know if I can run the
Sun-supplied packer to compress Jar files and then use that as an
input into my unpacker algorithm?

That should be no problem.  It's just data.

I'm guessing it's OK to do that, but
I need to be able to demonstrate that I've not used any internal
knowledge of the implementation to achieve the goal of a clean-room
implementation.

Well, using Sun's program to create a compressed jar doesn't give you internal knowledge, unless it spews out it's own source while running to keep the user entertained during the run or something :)