Hello,

Some time ago I've read in Danese Cooper's blog that Sun doesn't have
compatibility tests for Swing/AWT. I think it means that there are no
such tests in other companies or projects as well. We can see if our
implementation is compatible with Sun's only by launching some
application on both and comparing.

Of course it's difficult to test view automatically - that button with
some text really shows the text and looks nice or that green is green
or that grid table is a grid table. What can be automatically tested
is model:

- if one of button's properties changed, others are changed accordingly
- if a component changes state, listeners are notified properly
- repaint() and revalidate() called where needed, etc.

Maybe some of these scenarios can be tested even in headless mode -
without displaying anything.

What do you think - does this testing approach make sense? Is there a
need in such tests to ensure confidence that our libraries are
compatible? Or we'll just try different applications and solve
problems as they arise?

Anton Luht,