I would like to give the background on how the build system is designed and
then
give answers for the specific questions.

The build system provided with the VM is designed to be able to build the
whole harmony codebase
no matter how many modules it contains. The intent was to propose it later
as a unified build system
for the Harmony project after receiving the community feedback.

The main notion the build operates with is a component - a more or less
distinct part of product (vm, classlib, tools, etc).
The benefits are:

     - A component can contain several types of source:
       C++ sources, C sources, assembler sources, Java* sources, smoke
       and unit tests.

     - A component can be processed in several ways in the build:
       produce native output (shared or static library or executable)
       and/or Java* classes in .jar file, produce and run smoke and/or unit
tests.

     - One can switch between the different compilers and modes by using
the environment variables, as follows:

                                   On Windows*:                 |  On
Linux*:

 -------------------------------------+----------------------------
   MSVC compiler  :     set CXX=msvc                   |  N/A
   Intel(R) compiler :     set CXX=icl                        |      export
CXX=icc
   GCC compiler     :     N/A                                  |  export
CXX=gcc
   Release              :     set BUILD_CFG=release   |  export
BUILD_CFG=release
   Debug                :     set BUILD_CFG=debug      |  export
BUILD_CFG=debug

   The build dynamically produces a build_${component}.xml file for
   each specific component by taking its descriptor, performing the
   attribute-based filtering on it, and then applying target templates
   and settings on it.

The README describing how to write a component descriptor can be found at:
harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/README.txt

Here are the answers on questions:

Component-oriented build system is designed to support project layout this
way :

/drlvm/
/classlib/
/tools/

/deploy/

The external resources such as APR, ECLIPSE, CPPTASKS, ZLIB, etc are
described in enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/make/win.properties and
enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/make/linux.properties for each system
respectively.

Each network resource location is configured as follows:

    remote.<resource name>.archive=<Resource URL or local path to zip
archive>

Which can be overridden through the system environment as follows:

    <resource name>_HOME=<extracted archive location>

For example, the build takes Eclipse from it's default location on Windows:

remote.ECLIPSE.archive=http://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/eclipse/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.1.1-200509290840/eclipse-JDT-3.1.1.zip

unless the ECLIPSE_HOME is set and points to the Eclipse installation
directory.

The "build update" command downloads resources only once. It may be
overridden by setting <resource name>_HOME=<extracted archive location>
variables.

The build is invokable from above by calling build.bat or build.sh depending
on the operating system.

It is possible to specify only certain compnent(s) to build:

   build.bat -DCOMPONENTS="vm extra classlib"

However, currently vm component is rigidly dependent on classlib and will
initiate classlib building. I can't provide the patch to unhook vm and class
libs today, but please allow a bit more time, and the patch will appear.

--
Denis Sharypov,
Intel Middleware Products Division