Currently two VM subcomponents - vmi and kernel_classes - explicitly depend
on classlibs.
It's needed to get rid of this and then bootstrap prebuilt harmony classlib
while building vm subcomponents.
Here're the extracts from the correponding xml descriptors describing
dependency:

<project name="vm.vmi">
   <target name="init" depends="common_vm">
       <property name="build.depends" value="classlib.vmi_includes,
                                             extra.apr,
                                             vm.vmcore,
                                             classlib.pool,
                                             classlib.zip,
                                             classlib.port" />

<project name="vm.kernel_classes">
   <target name="init" depends="common_vm">
       <property name="build.java.depends"
                 value="classlib.luni,classlib.security,classlib.archive,
classlib.regex,classlib.nio,classlib.nio_char"/>

--
Denis Sharypov,
Intel Middleware Products Division

> It is possible to specify only certain compnent(s) to build:
>
>    build.bat -DCOMPONENTS="vm extra classlib"
>
> However, currently vm component is rigidly dependent on classlib and
will
> initiate classlib building. I can't provide the patch to unhook vm and
> class
> libs today, but please allow a bit more time, and the patch will appear.

Ok - but if we can turn this into a conversation/tutorial here on the
list, that would be better than a patch thrown "over the wall".  It will
help people learn more about this system...