Well, I'm about half way through being able to read my HelloWorld.jar
file; I've got the basic codec working, as well as decoding the
constant pools that come at the front of an archive. There's still
some missing bits -- for example, I don't handle the s=2 set of
encodings (largely because I'm not quite sure I understand from the
spec how I'm supposed to treat them) and there's a really interesting
feature of band encodings which says that they can be encoded
arbitrarily by sending an effective escape character ... but
fortunately, I don't have any of those in the simple case.

Whilst it's no-where near ready (and may be ripe for several
refactorings yet) is it worth taking what I've done and putting it in
SVN so that others can see/play around with it? Unfortunately, it's a
bit of a linear process since they're all variable length encodings;
so you have do decode part N before you can decode part N+1. On the
other hand, if anyone wanted to work on a compressor then that's a
parallel activity ...

Anyway, I'm assuming that it might need a new directory under
/classlib/ for storing the pack200 stuff (hopefully so that it can be
used as a standalone module e.g. for providing the command line tool)
so there's a bit of administrivia to sort out; hopefully, someone here
can help me with that :-) I should also point out that I've not tried
compiling/running it with the harmony VM -- largely because there
isn't one on a Mac (yet) so I'm working with the standard
Eclipse+Apple VM. There's a danger that my code might inadvertently
break the build, therefore :-/

I've also got to format the code and put the Apache copyright headers
on -- I don't mind doing that prior to making a zip and attaching it
in JIRA (which I'm assuming is the right process for initial uploads).
If someone could point me in the right direction for where those are,
that would be helpful.

Alex.