Alex Blewitt wrote:
> Well, I'm about half way through being able to read my HelloWorld.jar
> file; I've got the basic codec working, as well as decoding the
> constant pools that come at the front of an archive. There's still
> some missing bits -- for example, I don't handle the s=2 set of
> encodings (largely because I'm not quite sure I understand from the
> spec how I'm supposed to treat them) and there's a really interesting
> feature of band encodings which says that they can be encoded
> arbitrarily by sending an effective escape character ... but
> fortunately, I don't have any of those in the simple case.
>
> Whilst it's no-where near ready (and may be ripe for several
> refactorings yet) is it worth taking what I've done and putting it in
> SVN so that others can see/play around with it? Unfortunately, it's a
> bit of a linear process since they're all variable length encodings;
> so you have do decode part N before you can decode part N+1. On the
> other hand, if anyone wanted to work on a compressor then that's a
> parallel activity ...
>
> Anyway, I'm assuming that it might need a new directory under
> /classlib/ for storing the pack200 stuff (hopefully so that it can be
> used as a standalone module e.g. for providing the command line tool)

Since it is part of the SE API too I suggest that we put it directly
into ARCHIVE and then let the command-line tool use it from there.

Since we want to keep ARCHIVE working throughout we can create a branch
if you think the pack200 dev will be dangerous (I think we can handle it
in-place, but whatever).

> so there's a bit of administrivia to sort out; hopefully, someone here
> can help me with that :-) I should also point out that I've not tried
> compiling/running it with the harmony VM -- largely because there
> isn't one on a Mac (yet) so I'm working with the standard
> Eclipse+Apple VM. There's a danger that my code might inadvertently
> break the build, therefore :-/
>
> I've also got to format the code and put the Apache copyright headers
> on -- I don't mind doing that prior to making a zip and attaching it
> in JIRA (which I'm assuming is the right process for initial uploads).
> If someone could point me in the right direction for where those are,
> that would be helpful.
>
> Alex.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.