On 7/9/06, Mark Hindess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 8 July 2006 at 19:13, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thorbj=F8rn_Ravn_Andersen?= <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ivan Volosyuk skrev  den 08-07-2006 00:35:
> > Working on different projects, I've found out that Java programmers
> > and C programmers have different habits. Java programmers likes ant,
> > Linux/C programmers - make. I am C programmer :)
> > If we going to do all the build ant-way, let's use cpptask as DRLVM
> > does. But I will not sign up under that task - I can deal with
> > makefile based build system, but I have quite little knowledge of ant
> > to do that task.
> Personally I think that it will be easier to use other C IDE's if the
> project uses Makefiles since that is what historically has been used for
> that purpose.
>
> Make and ant are to me very different in how you think when using it
> - make is in terms of creating rules for deriving file(s) from other
> file(s), where ant describes tasks.
>
> I think it is fine to use ant to invoke the global build, but
> that make should be used for the C build.  Perhaps ant can build
> the configuration files used by make?  Something similar to what
> "configure" does?

No.  I think we should just invoke configure not re-invent it in ant.

The point is that if/when we change from using raw make to using
configure the developer running ant at the top-level (or module level)
shouldn't care how, for example:

  ant -Dbuild.cfg=release

and:

  ant -Dbuild.cfg=debug

is implemented underneath.

Regards,
 Mark.

Mark,

What's wrong with the notation:
 'BUILD_CFG=debug ant' or simply 'ant'
 BUILD_CFG=release ant

When we will (possibly) move to 'configure and make' we can do the
changes in ant build files to keep _this_ interface. For now, this
interface require 'zero' intrusion into ant build system, as the
environment variable simply go into makefile.

I do not especially insist in current form, we can do it this way either:
 ant -Dbuild.cfg=release
I think it is trivial to do, but I just want to understand the
benifits of this solution.

If the influence from ant-build-system minimal, people who deals with
makefiles can just keep in mind the things they want to do in
makefiles and ignore all of the build layers above. It is much easier.
As I know humans mind can handle about 7 different types of entities
at once. Let's keep it simple.
--
Ivan