On 8 July 2006 at 19:13, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thorbj=F8rn_Ravn_Andersen?= <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ivan Volosyuk skrev  den 08-07-2006 00:35:
> > Working on different projects, I've found out that Java programmers
> > and C programmers have different habits. Java programmers likes ant,
> > Linux/C programmers - make. I am C programmer :)
> > If we going to do all the build ant-way, let's use cpptask as DRLVM
> > does. But I will not sign up under that task - I can deal with
> > makefile based build system, but I have quite little knowledge of ant
> > to do that task.
> Personally I think that it will be easier to use other C IDE's if the
> project uses Makefiles since that is what historically has been used for
> that purpose.
>
> Make and ant are to me very different in how you think when using it
> - make is in terms of creating rules for deriving file(s) from other
> file(s), where ant describes tasks.
>
> I think it is fine to use ant to invoke the global build, but
> that make should be used for the C build.  Perhaps ant can build
> the configuration files used by make?  Something similar to what
> "configure" does?

No.  I think we should just invoke configure not re-invent it in ant.

The point is that if/when we change from using raw make to using
configure the developer running ant at the top-level (or module level)
shouldn't care how, for example:

  ant -Dbuild.cfg=release

and:

  ant -Dbuild.cfg=debug